02 Jan Welcome to 2017, time to rage against the machine
Happy New Year from the Sonder Insider!
Goodbye to 2016 then, a year when the world said “we’ve had enough” and voted against the status quo, against doing things the way they’ve always been done, against mediocrity. Whilst this is an oversimplification of events in Europe & USA, we salute the sentiment of people recognising when it is time to try something new.
The business world is faced with similar challenges, as employees become increasingly disillusioned with corporate failings like:
- A lack of clear purpose and meaning
- Leadership doing the same old thing and expecting different results
- Decision-making by committees
- Unrealistic growth targets
- Increasing demands to be ‘always-on’ company time
We predict a multitude of rebellions in 2017 as business people start to take things into their own hands. Buoyed by the ongoing political upheaval, empowered by the connected economy and inspired by businesses who take the plunge and win, 2017 will be the year when business people rage against the machine and take back some control.
We will start to see behaviours like:
- Business function leaders going ‘off-piste’ and creating their own powerful micro-cultures to galvanise change
- Corporate mobilisers ‘going rogue’ and getting the job done their way (so it actually gets done)
- Boardroom angst and resignations as performance frustrations rise
- Even more dissection of the ‘renegade pin-ups’ Uber, AirBnB, Apple & Red Bull
- People demanding greater life:work balance
- More start-ups as people have a go themselves
All of which we cheekily encourage you to embrace wholeheartedly! Kick off the shackles this year, seek out a new, different way of doing things. It might scare you, but it might just excite and re-energise you too.